Saturday, June 30, 2007

Another Gun Brought to My School

As I added a feed to one of the local television news stations on the right-hand menu on this page (near the bottom), I noticed one of the headlines was "Airsoft gun brought to Spokane middle school." Clicking on the link brought up a photo of my work location and the story of how a pellet gun was brought to the summer school program being held there. (Sigh!) This is the third incident (that I know of) where some type of gun was brought to school in the past 12 months. It's a tough neighborhood, and a tough population of kids, which is why we have chosen not to have our own children attend that particular middle school or the high school that it feeds into. Guns don't scare me; it's the fact that it's the kids who have not been trained properly in gun usage and safety who are the most likely to pull such a stunt. Their reasons for bringing a weapon to school are to show off, protect themselves, or use it for revenge--none of which are very reassuring.

[By the way, the news article was wrong. The school is located in East Spokane, not West.]

No comments: