Saturday, July 14, 2007

My Spaghetti Recipe

My kids really love my spaghetti recipe. The last time we went to a buffet house, my son got a plate of spaghetti and after a couple of bites, put it aside. "It doesn't taste good at all, Mom. It's not like yours." My daughter went to Tomato Street with some family friends several years ago and tried their spaghetti. She told the family she was with that her mom's was much better. High praise from some picky eaters!

So I'm not Italian at all, and can't say I spend hours simmering my sauce or use fresh-from-the garden ingredients. I don't even use meatballs, but instead use ground beef. Despite all this, it's a family favorite, and easy to make into dinner for a crowd.

Ingredients:
  • Cooked spaghetti noodles, drained (when I throw the dried ones into boiling water, I grab a bunch big enough to fit within the circle of my thumb and index finger...about quarter-sized)
  • 1 # ground beef
  • 1/2 c. diced onion (I prefer Walla Walla Sweets, but any will do)
  • a couple cloves of garlic, pressed (or use garlic salt with the spices, instead)
  • 1 15-oz. can of stewed tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 15-oz. can of tomato sauce
  • 1 6-oz. can of tomato paste
  • 1 small (8 oz.?) can of sliced mushrooms, drained; or a few fresh ones, sliced
  • 1 small can of sliced olives, drained
  • oregano
  • cumin
  • basil
  • seasoning salt (like Lawry's); omit if using garlic salt instead
1. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with onion and garlic. Chop up meat into very small chunks. Drain meat into colander to remove excess grease, wipe out skillet with paper towel, and return meat to pan.

2. Add canned ingredients and mix well. Generously sprinkle entire sauce with the spices and seasoning (or garlic) salt. Mix well. Let simmer for a few minutes (about 10).

3. Add drained cooked noodles to sauce. Mix well. Serve with a tossed green salad and/or cut green beans (fresh or canned), and garlic toast. Sprinkle spaghetti with grated Parmesan cheese if desired. A favorite ending to this meal is Peach Dessert, served with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

No comments: